Wednesday, August 1, 2012

TI-Nspire Summer Workshop

After participating in the 2012 TI-Nspire Summer Workshop, I am eager to incorporate more technology in my math and science classes.

It seems unlikely that I will be able to afford a class set of the new TI-Nspire CX handheld calculators anytime soon.  In the meantime, I am excited to begin using the teacher software that accompanied my new toy.  The Math Nspired website offers a wealth of  activities, for use on either the handheld calculator or the computer.


For example, one lesson provides students with the an image of/the formula for the area of a rectangle.  Students are then challenged to manipulate this image to derive the formulas for area of a triangle, parallelogram, and trapezoid.  Together, the visuals and the inquiry opportunities make for a powerful learning experience!


While I wait to win the lottery, I will recommend that our site technology committee purchase one class set of devices for teachers to check out of the library.  The software and web-based activities would also make for engaging whole class discussions when paired with an interactive whiteboard, allowing students to interact with and manipulate lines, figures, graphs, equations . . .    

No comments:

Post a Comment